There is a large drilling crane or something, which is connected by a giant hose to a skip full of water (central skip, blue). It looks like a jacuuzi but I suspect they are using it for something else.


Perhaps it is not a jacuuzi? What is it for if not?

  • 2
    $\begingroup$ You mean the blue containers? $\endgroup$ Commented Jan 19, 2018 at 16:45

1 Answer 1


It is likely to be tanks for drilling fluid (aka 'mud').

This is a slurry of various substances, such as bentonite clay suspended in oil or water which serves various functions. In particular it provides cooling and lubrication for the drill head and helps to clear debris created by drilling.

When drilling into pressurised oil and gas wells it also provide a hydrostatic head which resists the well pressure.

Typically it will be pumped down the centre of the drill pipe and returns up through the gap between the drill pipe and the bore.

Drilling fluid is usually made up on site as needed by mixing dry ingredients with oil or water plus any additional additives.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.