In one of my project, I need deformation gradient or displacement gradient for some elements in my model that made by ABAQUS software and I can't find it directly, any suggestion or help would be appreciated.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Are you writing a user element or user material subroutine? $\endgroup$
    – Matt P
    Oct 31, 2017 at 16:23

1 Answer 1


From a theoretical standpoint, the displacement gradient is equivalent to strain (assuming a structural problem).

Numerically, you can obtain the derivate of a quantity through multiplication with the derivative of the shape functions, which is often referred to as the B matrix:

du = B u

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.