Does anyone know what this mechanism for linear movement is called? I have a different model of something like this, and the black chain appears rigid, so I assume it is the mechanism moving the laser head. I could be wrong though.

The mechanism in question.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ It's not clear from the picture. However the black chain-like devise is used to manage wires. $\endgroup$ – Eric S Sep 6 '17 at 1:06
  • $\begingroup$ @EricShain I just searched for "linear actuator cable management chain" and found the chain part. Apparently it's called a "cable chain". You can post it as an answer and I can accept it. $\endgroup$ – Winseven4lyf Sep 6 '17 at 1:18

The head probably moves by rack and pinion or a hidden timing belt.

The cable management is done by a cable carrier. It works by having each joint only have a limited rotation so that it can support itself when held horizontally.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.