Most cheap pump can achieve, according to the Amazon page, around 5 PSI and I would need something a way higher that can still be controlled.

I have this solenoid valve.

enter image description here

Can I use pulse-width modulation (PWM) with a longer time period to control the flow of a pressurized liquid? Will that damage the valve? What is the accuracy of the valve?

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Are you asking if you can use PWM to make the valve act like a pressure reducing valve like this? If you are, i'd err on the side of saying no. I can't imagine it being accurate. If you are measuring the outlet pressure anyway, it'll be better to buy a pressure reducing valve rather than the expense of seperate monitoring guages etc. $\endgroup$
    – CraigC
    Aug 18 '17 at 17:45

It is possible to modulate the drive of some types of solenoid fluid valves to ultimately regulate the pressure of the fluid at their output port. I have designed a product that does excatly that.

However, you can't easily use any valve. You want a valve that is intended for part-way operation between full on and full off. There are such solenoid valves, but you shouldn't assume they can do this unless this is explicitly stated. These are often referred to as proportional valves, althogh they aren't necessarily all that linear.

Using PWM to control a solenoid is quite feasible. The product I mentioned did exactly that. You should make the PWM period short enough so that the current thru the valve changes little each cycle. Only the average current goes to driving the valve. The high speed AC component only heats it without doing anything useful.

Valves intended only for on or off operation are not suitable for this. You can PWM the solenoid, but PWMing the fluid flow causes a lot of mechanical stresses, pulses, and other problems. On/off valves aren't intended for that kind of operation.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.