On the pictures below is a tool called "bridge cam gauge", mentioned in this answer. I wonder why the words "bridge" and "cam" are used in its name.

I found a definition of "cam" that might be relevant:

A curved wedge, movable about an axis, used for forcing or clamping two pieces together.

As I understand, the 'cam' here is the flat roundish beaky plate that you can rotate about its hinge.

But what about "bridge"? Wiktionary offers a variety of senses, which makes it hard for a non-native speaker of English.

enter image description here

enter image description here

Also asked on ELU SE.

P.S. It is also called "cam type weld gauge"


See here http://www.newmantools.com/gauge/wghowto.htm#wg4 (gauge type WG-4) for how it is used.

It works the same way as a cam. The rotating part (marked "undercut or reinforcement" in your second picture) has a pointed end (marked with the arrow) that "follows" the profile of the parts to be welded like the follower on a conventional cam, as in the graphic in your Wikipedia link.

I think the "bridge" part just means that the gauge has two "feet" that are in contact with the part being measured, and "bridges the gap" between them. See http://marinenotes.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/sketch-and-describe-bridge-gauge-how-is.html for a different type of "bridge gauge", which doesn't have a cam.

  • $\begingroup$ Thank you for the explanation of "cam" - it's very clear now! Now the name looks logical. $\endgroup$ Jun 19 '16 at 18:54
  • $\begingroup$ Bridge refers to how the gauge is used in the linked picture labeled 'misalignment.' The gauge bridges two separate parts allowing comparison between them. $\endgroup$
    – Ethan48
    Jun 20 '16 at 13:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.