In Russia, there's a special term for a pipe that is not circular in its section: "a profiled pipe" (профильная труба). There's even a Wikipedia page for it: профильная труба. Such pipes come in a wide variety of sizes and usually have an oval, square or rectangular section ("profile" in Russian), but other kinds of sections are possible.

I wonder what is the common cover-all technical term describing "any kind of non-circular pipe".

enter image description here

Example of usage:

Pervouralsk New Pipe Plant produces a range of non-circular pipes, including pipes of variable cross-section.

(Also asked on ELL SE)


1 Answer 1


For structural purposes these are usually called Hollow Structural Sections (HSS). For non-structural purposes Mechanical Tubing is often used.

In Europe the main body that deals with structural design of these is CIDECT, who have a series of useful design guides. The equivalent would probably be the Steel Tube Institute in the USA who also deal with non-structural components.

  • $\begingroup$ I'd have gone for simply "Tube" rather than "mechanical tubing". Hollow Structural Section is also a good answer. Which is better depends on the audience. $\endgroup$
    – AndyT
    Jun 13, 2016 at 14:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.